And for BA, it is a challenging job to manage the change requests, we may need to Plan, Understand, Document and Analyze the requirement change requests
Plan Requirements Change
- Determine who should be involved in handling requirements changes Content will describe which roles on a project should be involved in reviewing and approving requirements changes; which project roles need to know about requirements changes.
- Define how Requirements Changes will be administered and communicated Material will describe mechanisms for logging changes and communicating changes.
Understand the changes to requirements
- Identify issues / changes: Capture any issues or requirements changes identified by the project stakeholders or project team Communicate information to project change management team for impact analysis
- Participate in impact analysis: Participate in the project change management teams review of the identified issues or requested changes Present additional background information and/or supporting documentation
Document the changes to requirements
- Create Formal Change Request: Ensure changes are formally included in the revised Requirements Documents
- Create Formal Change Request: Once the change has been approved, a formal change request shall be generated The change request is a mandatory deliverable when a change occurs but does not have a mandatory template
- Define links to other requirements: Revisit requirements document to ensure all impacted requirements are updated Note changes within the ‘Revision History’ section
If there is no change, there is no progress.
Analyze change requests
- Conduct fact-finding to obtain a greater understanding of the requirements change, operational context, and potential issues
- Interview stakeholders or project team members to better understand the issue or request
- Determine if the requested change is within the scope of the project
- Trace impact of the change back to other high level or detail project requirements
- Determine impact of executing the change on external processes, people or systems
- Validate analysis with other team members
- Categorize / prioritize requirements
- Determine how critical this change is to the success of the project and the impact of not executing it.
- Classify the change request into one of the major groups / types of requirements identified within the HLRD or DRS
- Prioritize the changes by level of criticality (e.g., high, medium, low)
Calculate cost and development effort to implement the requested change
- Submit changes for approval
- Submit to requirements approvers and project sponsor for sign-off
- Track changes to requirements
- Make sure client requirements are captured accurately, completely and succinctly Ensure each changed requirement is traceable back to its source
- Identify change request information within the ‘Revision History’ section of the High Level Requirements Document and the Detailed Requirements Specifications
- Define links to other requirements
- Revisit requirements documents to ensure all impacted requirements are updated
- Note changes within the ‘Revision History’ section